Many experts agree that every homeowner should know about basic residential roofing repair. This is particularly beneficial during times of emergency repairs when your roofer will not be able to come to your assistance quickly. Plus, it is important that you be able to provide basic repair to your roof while waiting for the roofer to prevent the damage from getting worse.
Below are some of the basic roofing repairs that every homeowner should know.
- Rotten roof – Usually, roofs can rot because of water and leak problems. On the other hand, there is another type of rotting that can happen to your roof. Myrtle Beach residential roofing experts refer to this as dry rot which is due to lack of proper and sufficient ventilation. To resolve this problem, it is highly recommended that you install a ridge vent along with a soffit vent in your attic. This will effectively provide your roofing system with sufficient ventilation and prevent dry rotting.
- Removing damaged shingle or roof tile – Another common roofing problem that many homeowners encounter is damaged or worn out shingles or roof tiles. If there are only a couple of tiles or shingles that need replacing, you can easily accomplish this on your own. All you have to do is slide down the damaged tile from the tile above it to remove it. To remove shingles, you will need to cut the edge of the shingle with a hacksaw. Once this is done, you will be able to pull the edge of the shingle using a pair of pliers.
- Finding the source of your leak problems – If you notice your roof has leak problems, the first thing you need to do before your roofer arrives is to find the source of the leak. And you can easily do this by using a garden hose and spraying on your roof. This will enable you to easily locate your leak problems.
- Preventing clogged gutters – One of the primary causes of leaks in residential roofing is clogged gutters. Your gutters can get clogged due to the accumulation and build up of leaves and other debris. When your gutters are clogged, water will not properly drain from your roof, which will eventually result in water build up, damage your roof, and cause leaking.
To prevent this from happening, you should regularly clean your gutters at least once every week. You should also consider checking up on your gutters and cleaning them after a storm, especially if it is accompanied by strong winds. Also, make sure there are no trees near your roof.
- Protecting your roof from storm damage – Storms can easily damage your roof. Unfortunately, you cannot stop the storm from coming nor from causing damage to your roof. However, there is something you can do to prevent costly damages. All you need is aluminum flashing and roofing cement. You will have to place the flashing at your shingle to make it more resistant against storm damage. Use roofing cement to glue the flashing in place.
Whenever doing your own repairs, make sure you practice safety and caution. Also, make sure you are working with a residential roofing expert that provides emergency services. Call Contract Exteriors now.
Myrtle Beach, SC