Roof replacement is a critical home renovation that should be left only to professional roofers. Every home’s roof lasts for 30-50 years depending on how the owner maintains and takes care of the roof. On the other hand, there are other factors that could damage your roof and prompt you for an immediate replacement. These factors primarily include various weather conditions. If your roof is severely damaged, you will need to have it replaced immediately so as not to cause damage to other parts of your house.
Whatever the reason is, you will need to ensure your roof is in tip-top condition by having it repaired or replaced as necessary. Keep in mind that the roof is an important part of the house and plays a major role in preventing the heat of the sun, heavy storms, hail and strong winds from causing damage to your house and risking you and your family’s safety.
If you are planning for a roof replacement soon, it is best to hire professionals instead of doing it on your own. Contract Exteriors can help you efficiently replace your roof with a more advanced roof that will effectively keep you, your house and family protected from sudden changes in weather.
Steps in replacing a roof
Experienced and trained roofers in Myrtle Beach follow a certain series of steps in replacing a roof.
1. Protection – Before starting with the roof replacement process, it is important to ensure that the entire property is protected so as to avoid causing damage to it. Make sure the siding is covered and that the plants and bushes are placed in an area where they cannot be reached by falling debris from the roof. They should also not be placed in the way of the contractors to allow them all the space they need to remove and replace your old roof.
2. Preparation – This step particularly involves stripping off the old and damaged roofing. This is especially true for those homes that have layers of shingles. The old and damaged shingles should be removed properly from the roof and disposed of appropriately. You can have your roofing contractor dispose of your old roof properly. Remember that there are roofing contractors who offer disposing of your roof debris.
3. Sheathing application – For every roof replacement project, the application of sheathing is highly important as it would serve as a protection from moisture and, eventually, mold development. The most common types of sheathing used include tar paper and roofing felt. Most professional roofers will not lay down the entire sheathing all at once. The best way to apply sheathing is to have them slightly overlap each other. This will further help prevent leaks. Galvanized nails should be used for added protection. Sheathing along the roof’s ridge line should be in double layers to further ensure no leaks and moisture will penetrate through the sheathing.
4. Adding of metal flashing sheet where necessary – The metal flashing sheet is often added to where the shingles are joined such as around vents and chimneys. Aside from helping establish efficient ventilation system for your roof, these metal flashing sheets also help protect your plants which can be an obstruction when your roof is being replaced. It is also necessary to protect the wooden frame of your roofing system.
5. Laying out the new shingles – The best and most appropriate way of laying out new shingles for your new roof is to start at the bottom of the roof. Be sure to leave space for clearing at the edge of the roof. Also experts have realized that to easily ensure that the shingles are in a straight row, the entire row should be laid out first before nailing the shingles in place.
If you need a professional roofers assistance, call Contract Exteriors now.
Myrtle Beach, SC
(843) 282-2177 (843) 357-9234