Risks of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After Roof Repairs

roof repairsBad weather condition is the primary reason for roof damage throughout Myrtle Beach and nearby areas. Hail, high winds, debris, rain, as well as other severe weather and falling tree branches may cause minor to major damages to your home’s roof.

Roof repairs are the specialty of a professional contractor. However, what a few roofing contractors do not know is that when they work on the roof’s vent stacks, they may inadvertently trigger a carbon monoxide leak, which could pose a hidden danger following a roof repair.

Carbon monoxide is an unscented gas that could be stuck in your house and can potentially build up following roof damage, and after the next roof repairs in case the vent system isn’t reattached correctly.

Water heaters, vents for furnaces, as well as other fuel-burning units,  pass through the roof, and in most cases, they are not correctly reinstalled if the roof is fixed.

How roof venting units improve your safety

Venting systems in your house are installed to make sure that carbon monoxide, as well as other dangerous gases, are channeled outside safely and securely. These vent channels usually run from your water heater, furnace, stove, or other gas appliances to your home’s exterior.

In some cases, these channels go through your home’s walls, into the attic, and then out through your home’s roof, which is where that could be damaged in the course of bad weather conditions.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a real threat

If your home or roof is damaged after a storm, it is necessary to check if the vents were reconnected to any fuel-burning appliance. In case they were left unattached, you as well as your loved ones could be in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

More than 400 Americans perish every year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning and much more are checked in to emergency rooms with sicknesses that are related to overexposure to carbon monoxide.

Protect your house with these safety measures following a storm or roof repairs

A few of these incidents could be prevented by taking these things into account:

  • After a severe weather condition, assess the flue vent pipes that run up from your gas appliances and then through your home, then into the attic to make sure that the pipelines haven’t become disconnected or lose.
  • Following a storm, check out the roof’s venting exit to make sure it is not obstructed. You should also be certain that it is free from debris.
  • In case you find a puncture in any part of the venting system, do not use tape or any household material when trying to fix it by yourself. Get in touch with an HVAC professional or local plumber to correctly patch the opening. Incorrectly fixing a hole can result in a carbon monoxide accumulation in your house.
  • In case you plan to have Myrtle Beach roof repairs or replacement, be sure to contact a professional plumber or a reliable HVAC technician to check out the venting after that.
  • Make certain that maintenance and roof repairs are conducted by a trustworthy and licensed plumber or an expert HVAC technician. They possess the knowledge and experience to correctly repair and set up the components safely and securely, so you and your loved ones do not become victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Most importantly, make sure that you have fully functional carbon monoxide sensors in your house. They are your first line of defense in preventing problems related to carbon monoxide. They are as important as smoke detectors.

To make sure that your roof repairs are done correctly and safely, call Contract Exteriors now.


Contract Exteriors
Myrtle Beach, SC
(843) 357-9234

Be Sociable, Share!